DCU Home | Our Courses | Loop | Registry | Library | Search DCU

Module Specifications..

Current Academic Year 2023 - 2024

Please note that this information is subject to change.

Module Title German Language 4 (Intermediate)
Module Code GE140
School SALIS
Module Co-ordinatorSemester 1: Angela Leahy
Semester 2: Angela Leahy
Autumn: Angela Leahy
Module TeachersAngela Leahy
NFQ level 8 Credit Rating 5
Pre-requisite None
Co-requisite None
Compatibles None
Incompatibles None
Students required to resit may be required to repeat an individual component or all components. Reassessment components will resemble broadly the coursework set in the previous examination session.

This intermediate level module focuses on both productive and receptive language skills. It places a particular focus on oral, reading and research skills. Students engage in group work to produce pieces (e.g. presentations) that relate to aspects of the target culture(s). The module also focuses on how to use authentic materials from a variety of sources to gain insights into specific socio-culural topics. Audio-visual materials are also used in this module. Students will be guided in the use of group work and the development language-learning strategies. Materials used in this module are mainly pitched at CEFR level B1.

Learning Outcomes

1. Present orally a creative 'production' that relates to the target culture(s); this involves describing specific events and/ or issues and articulating reasons/ explanations relating to these
2. Retrieve key information on cultural or social topics from a range of different German language sources and use this information in production, referencing sources appropriately.
3. Apply a range of grammatical and lexical features appropriate for intermediate level to produce spoken and written discourse on specific themes.
4. Describe how a group project was planned and conducted indicating a degree of critical reflection.
5. Demonstrate intercultural awareness.

Workload Full-time hours per semester
Type Hours Description
Lecture24Interactive Seminars
Independent Study76Completion of language-learning tasks on an ongoing basis
Assignment Completion25Preparation and completion of assessments
Total Workload: 125

All module information is indicative and subject to change. For further information,students are advised to refer to the University's Marks and Standards and Programme Specific Regulations at: http://www.dcu.ie/registry/examinations/index.shtml

Indicative Content and Learning Activities

Social and cultural themes

Language and creativity

Oral/ Presentation skills

Information retrieval/ Research skills

Written production

Language awareness

(Inter)cultural awareness

CEFR level B1

Language-learning strategies

Assessment Breakdown
Continuous Assessment100% Examination Weight0%
Course Work Breakdown
TypeDescription% of totalAssessment Date
AssignmentAssessment consists of two components; one (written class test) is weighted at 40% and is completed during the semester and the other is weighted at 60% and takes place in the oral exam period at the end of the semester.100%n/a
Reassessment Requirement Type
Resit arrangements are explained by the following categories;
1 = A resit is available for all components of the module
2 = No resit is available for 100% continuous assessment module
3 = No resit is available for the continuous assessment component
This module is category 1
Indicative Reading List

    Other Resources

    59849, Selected materials., 0, A range of texts, audio-materials, films, visual images, dictionaries, grammar materials and e-resources will be recommended by module lecturers at the beginning of the semester and over the course of the semester.,
    Programme or List of Programmes
    BAJIBachelor of Arts (BAJI)
    BAJLBachelor of Arts (BAJL)
    BAJMBachelor of Arts (BAJM)
    BSSAStudy Abroad (DCU Business School)
    BSSAOStudy Abroad (DCU Business School)
    EBGBA in Global Business (Germany)
    HMSAStudy Abroad (Humanities & Soc Science)
    HMSAOStudy Abroad (Humanities & Soc Science)
    IESAOStudy Abroad (Institute of Education)
    INTBBachelor Business Studies International
    SHSAStudy Abroad (Science & Health)
    SHSAOStudy Abroad (Science & Health)
    Date of Last Revision02-FEB-12

    My DCU | Loop | Disclaimer | Privacy Statement